"Turning dreams into Reality"
Initial concept and general arrangement
The first step to commissioning a custom superyacht, is to discuss the desired aesthetic with the designer and ascertain both usage and operational requirements.
MMYD will establish a thorough comprehension of requirements and preferences. Working to a client-centred methodology, MMYD establishes strong relationships with clients and works collaboratively on the creation of preliminary concepts.
- First meeting to develop brief
- Preliminary GA and 3D Renders developed
- Initial calculations to confirm the performance
and feasibility of the design
- Review at meeting(s) with the client and refine
- Obtain indicative price from shipyards
Shipyard costing and selection
This phase provides sufficient information to the shipyards so they can accurately cost the yacht’s
construction and may include visits to prospective builders.
MMYD can introduce the client to project managers, interior designers, sail makers, and other key
suppliers. Selecting the right partners for these aspects is essential – every project is different
and every design is distinctive, the MMYD studio will help clients hand-pick a pool of experts with
the right experience and chemistry to complement the design and ensure its success.
This phase may also contain additional technical studies such as tank testing, CFD or preliminary FEA and class/flag design review, if required.
- Refine the arrangement and 3D model
- Develop the design and technical aspects with additional drawings and data
- Liaison with suppliers to add detailed components
- Preliminary naval architecture calculations
- Updated package of 3D renders
- Written build specification
- Fully developed package for shipyard costing
- Liaison with shipyard(s) to review costing and agree final build specification
Techinical development and construction drawings
During this phase, the layout is set and construction drawings
The MMYD team brings its vast experience to each step of the journey, supporting the client as
needed, and remaining on hand throughout the yacht’s construction to ensure accuracy, adherence to
instruction and attainment of weight and performance targets.
- Fully-developed exterior 3D model and detailed renders of design details
- Detailed construction drawings of all aspects of the yacht
- Detailed engineering and naval architecture calculations
- Liaison with the shipyard, Flag and Class authorities to confirm compliance with necessary
- Track the construction of the yacht to confirm that the target weight and performance are met
- Monitor the yacht throughout the build (in liaison with the project manager) to ensure the
quality of work is of the highest standard
- Attend the sea trials and inclining test to ensure that all requirements have been met
With a focus on artistic aesthetics, exterior lines and proportions, yachts designed by MMYD are acclaimed both for their form and function.
The yacht’s resultant performance underpins every decision made, with the studio’s wide-reaching experience and deep understanding contributing to every project.
Malcolm has used glass as both a design feature and structural element for over 40 years. The studio has been recognised for championing its use and pushing the boundaries of its intergation in projects.
The incorporation of advanced technological systems is always carefully considered, ensuring the yacht can adapt as needed to future innovations.
This approach is what distinguishes MMYD yachts apart and ensures the best possible result is achieved for the client.
STRUCTURAL OPTIMISATION THROUGH FINITE ELEMENT ANALYSIS
PERFORMANCE BALANCE & SEAKEEPING IS CONFIRMED & REFINED USING CFD & TANK TESTING
DRIVEN TO DESIGN
The MMYD studio is driven by its dedication to client-centred design that set the course for style and embody the finest attributes of on-water architecture. The studio is passionate about innovation and evolving yacht design.
The challenge with yacht design comes with the continual development and refinement of hull forms, each time striving for improved efficiency, hydro-dynamics, and weight savings.
Whether a yacht is to bear classically-inspired lines or sport more avant-garde attributes, each is taken through an extensive research and development programme utilising sophisticated analytical tools to deliver optimum results.
As in any creative venture, the relationship between client, designer, and the various project partners is fundamental to a successful outcome.
Integrating large panels of glass into the hull & Superstructure, increasing the connection to the sea.
BUILDING WITH THE BEST
When you commission a design from MMYD, you are commissioning a one-off, a world-first and last, and a design that is distinctly, undeniably, yours.
For over 40 years, Malcolm has fostered close relationships with the industry’s best suppliers and shipyards. The MMYD studio only works with those who have proven their technical ability and construction quality. Partnering a design from the MMYD studio with the yacht building excellence of the greatest names in the industry, results in a yacht of undeniable pedigree and standing.